Friday, August 19, 2011

Community gardens

I have been trying to grow a vegetable garden in my backyard, but the reality is that I don't have much space available to do so. I want to find a community garden where my plants can be transplanted and grow.

It all began Two years ago with some papaya seeds that started to germinate when I was just attempting to do compost. There were too many sprouts, I just kept four plants. They are in pots, I haven't been able to transplant them. I tried to cultivate some tomatoes, not much luck there I think they needed more sunlight.

It will be great if I can take some of my plants to a place were when harvesting they can benefit not just me and my family but the community. It should be great that all schools start implementing having gardens in their yards and teach kids how to plant and harvest their own food. Whatever they harvest could be used in the preparation of some of the food served in the school cafeteria.

Also those soup kitchens that feed the homeless should also have some vegetable/fruits garden and they the homeless could volunteer there to help them take care of those gardens. This can help them reduce the amount of money they might have to spend buying veggies/fruits they need for the preparation of the meals for the homeless.

In the meantime I'll continue searching for a good house for the papaya, basil, green peppers, mango and lemon plants.

Hopefully I can find something soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment