Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tell me about yourself

Today I'm going to have an interview. I don't know about you, but I don't like interviews. They make me so nervous. I really have a hard time about being interrogated.

I have never really like when the interviewer says: tell me about yourself.

Why do we have to start by telling what we do as if that is all there is to ourselves? Last year around October if you would have asked myself to tell you something about me I'll say... "well... I'm unemployed and searching for a job." Then I watched Oprah's Lifeclass lesson 1: The false power of ego and it made me realize that "nothing, no material possessions, no position, no job, no status would ever really matter in terms of defining who you are. Nothing defines who you are." I still don't have a job, but I no longer say I'm unemployed. I might say (from what I learned from Iyanla Vanzant) I'm temporarily out of the workforce.

OK... I know... it is a job what I'm looking for and that's what I need to talk about, my past job experiences and how that experience can be transferred to this new position. How can I deliver the same message without identifying myself with a job?

I think I don't like interviews because I don't know how to sell myself. There are some people that can sell sand in a desert covered by it. Perhaps I don't know how to sell myself because I don't believe in the product I'm selling and that makes it even harder. I'm more about showing with actions how good I might be performing my job than with words. Once I'm there, loving my job or not, I will be dedicated to what I do and do my best. If I could only have someone to give me the chance to show them with actions how much value I can bring to their companies.

Maybe it will be easier for me to tell more about myself and be more excited to have an interview if I were really interested in the job I am pursuing and I wanted it so bad. Then I would probably do whatever it takes to show my potential employer that I'm the best candidate they could ever select.

Anyways, I just wanted to release these thoughts, to open some space in my mind to focus on the task in hand: preparing myself to tell my interviewers about myself.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment